Compact fluorescents, also known as CFL bulbs, are energy-efficient light bulbs. They use as much as 35% less energy to produce the same amount of light as standard incandescent bulbs. CFL bulbs are designed in a variety of styles. They are available in very small sizes and can fit any type of lighting fixture.
Since they take up less space and require less energy, they can save homeowners a lot of money. They do cost more than standard bulbs, but they can last for up to five years!
Unfortunately, many people see the price and immediately decide not to purchase them. They end up buying cheap incandescent bulbs, without knowing that they could actually save a lot more in the long run if they invested in CFL bulbs.
Another problem is that people aren’t aware of how advanced the technology for compact fluorescents has come. While it’s true that they were far too bright in the early days of productions, newer compact fluorescent bulbs are available in a variety of different color temperatures. They are even dimmable now!
There is also a misconception that CFL bulbs contain a lot of mercury. While they do contain some, the amount is comparable to a thermometer, something that most households already contain. Fluorescent bulbs just need to be kept away from small children.
Here are the primary benefits of CFL bulbs:
- CFL bulbs can produce 90% less heat while producing more light per watt than that of the average incandescent bulb. This means that they can be dimmed and still deliver a lot of light, thus saving energy and money in the process.
- They are available in a variety of color temperatures and styles. It’s easy to find fluorescents that can go well with just about any décor. The warm colours are ideal for homes, and the cool colours are perfect for offices. CFLs are available in four colour intensities: daylight, cool white, bright white, and soft white.
- Compact fluorescents are environmentally friendly. Replacing one standard bulb with a fluorescent bulb can reduce carbon emissions by as much as 1,000 pounds! Many people don’t realize how harmful one little incandescent bulb can be over its lifespan.
- Installing CFL bulbs in a home’s five most frequently used light fixtures can save a family 25 euro or more a year in energy costs. Since each bulb has a really long lifespan, a family can save as much as 125 euro! A fluorescent light bulb investment will pay for itself within a few short months.
- These bulbs can be used in outdoor lighting fixtures! Installing one inside of an enclosed fixture outside can add a nice, inviting look to a patio or deck. However, not all CFL bulbs are designed for the outdoors, so it’s important to read the packaging before you use one as such.
In conclusion, CFL bulbs obviously provide many advantages to both homeowners and businesses alike. The technology is growing so fast that some experts even expect standard incandescent bulbs to become obsolete in the not so distant future. And when you know the facts about these bulbs, it’s not difficult to see why.